Wednesday, August 18, 2004

HEY KID, CATCH: Hard to argue with ESPN25's pick for the Best Sports Commercial of the last quarter century, which in case you didn't catch the reference is the classic Coke spot in which a plucky youngster gives manages to cheer up Mean Joe Greene with a bottle of the aforementioned cola and in return receives a game-used jersey.

Nos. 2-7, indeed, are all classics, though the Bob Uecker ("I must be in the front row") and Be Like Mike should be higher. But Yao-Yo at No. 7? That pick begins some dubious choices, which result in some classics such as "I Am Tiger Woods" and John Madden's Miller Lite spots coming in lower than they should have.

Omissions? I would have liked to have seen that Nike spot from earlier in the year in which Lance Armstrong, Brian Urlacher, Andre Agassi, and others play other sports. Otherwise I'm sure there are some great ones missing. I'm not sure if they had to have a celeb angle, but that Nike "Love Hurts" spot from a few years back was great, too. Also, check out this Armstrong spot.

Which of your favorites didn't make the list? Also any cringe-worthy spots you're glad are missing? I think we can be happy Da Coach throwing the ball through the tire and those Chunky Soups spots with NFL stars' moms didn't merit consideration.

And one last note, the Blog will again be "listless" as I take leave for a long weekend traveling to the North Woods of Wisconsin with my son to attend to Family Camp. I should be back Tuesday, though considering the forecast, I could be back sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment