Friday, May 30, 2008

IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!!!!:  ROUND EIGHT!!!   

8:05 pm:  They use the Dancing With the Stars guy to introduce the finalists.  I'm immediately confused.  Dancing and spelling are two very different sports.  Will there be spins and lifts?

What makes me feel better is that they show me the very first speller and she has not had the full network treatment.  She's not had hair and makeup.  She's in the same outfit she was in this afternoon.  She's pure.  Hollywood has not gotten her.  And there's Tia and she's just as regular as she was this afternoon.  Hollywood hasn't gotten her either!!!  For those of you who don't know, Tia is a FIVE TIME Bee speller.  She spells old school.

Austin Pineda is here.  Twirling his hair!  HAIR TWIRLING!!!!!!!  He gently chastises Bossy But Cute Jacques Bailly for failing to give the language of origin on demand.  I adore this boy.  The announcers remind us that Austin is a first time speller.  HE'S TWIRLING HIS HAIR!!!  TWIRLING!!  TWIRLING!!!!  AND HE IS OUT!!!!  HE IS OUT!!!  "Tralatitious" took him down!

Note to self: hair twirling is not a good technique for excellent spelling.  Talking to a tiny man inside your hand IS a good technique.

Justin Song (aka Surfer Boy) is AWESOME!  He spells, he slacks, he spells, he slacks.  I LOVE HIM!

Wanna track the words?  The results?  Do that here.

8:19 pm:  As they have done every year, families sit on stage waiting to comfort the kids as they are eliminated.  Yay families!

8:20 pm: The cutest boy in the WORLD, Kyle Mou, just spelled "cryptarithm" which is an arithmetic problem in which letters have been substituted for numbers and is solved by finding all possible pairings of digits with letters that produce a numerically correct answer.  Dude.  That is hard.

8:22 pm:  I ADORE ROSE SLOAN!  I can't help it!  Every year I find someone who is me.  The me I still am in my head.  And this year, that me is ROSE!  She is awkward and eager and like me, she is a theatre geek AND a band geek!  I am ROOTING FOR ROSE!!!

(also drinking a lot of wine)

8:24 pm:  Sameer (no relation to legendary Samir) is sweet and calm and a four time speller.   He moves me not at all.  Which means he might do something spectacular later and win.

8:29 pm:  Commercial is over.  There was a singing version of the rules.  Is that from the Putnam County Spelling Bee musical?

Sidharth is up.  With his mustache and glasses...he's FIFTY is he's a day.  But I adore him.  My friend Elizabeth has decided he is a chess player.  That accounts for his Bobby Fischer stare into space.  WAIT!  He is a chess player!  She's right!  The bio says it!

Huguenot is not a spelling bee word.  It is not Bee-worthy.  There will be a scandal.  An inquiry.  A congressional hearing.  You heard it here first.  I love Cat.  But is she being given a pass?

5:31 pm:  Jahnavi Iyer sounds like I'd imagine Toni Morrison would sound if she were in the Bee.  Regal.  Bossy.  Brilliant.  Her bio says she saved an entire ACRE of rain forest by raising funds.  She's a badass.  She's a future Nobel Prize Winner. Don't mess with her.

With the hair twirler down, I wonder if I'll ever find happiness again.  I contemplate the nature of life.  Hair twirler, WE MISS YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment