Sunday, January 8, 2017
OH THIS FEUD, YEAH, THIS FEUD'S STILL ALIVE: Most of the time, which members of a band get into the Rock Hall of Fame is pretty uncontroversial (notwithstanding Axl Rose's mild fit about who got in for Guns N' Roses), but Pearl Jam will be inducted with drummers Dave Krusen (who drummed on Ten) and current drummer Matt Cameron, not either Dave Abbruzzese (who drummed for the Ten tour, Vs., and all but 2 songs on Vitalogy) or Jack Irons (who drummed from 1994-1998).
Posted by Matt at 6:20 PM
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Thursday, December 29, 2016
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
DON'T STOP INDUCTIN': Your Rock Hall of Fame Inductees are Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, ELO, Yes, and Journey. Chic does not get in, but Nile Rodgers receives the "Award for Musical Excellence," honoring "those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers," previously won by the E Street Band and Ringo Starr.
Posted by Matt at 8:35 AM
Monday, December 12, 2016
START YOUR AWARDS RACE: As always, the Golden Globe nominations are a mixture of one part obvious (lots of love for La La Land and Manchester By The Sea) and one part bizarre. A few surprises to note:
- The Globes have apparently forgiven Mel Gibson, who gets best picture and best director nods for Hacksaw Ridge.
- Inexplicable nominations--Lily Collins (Best Actress, Comedy/Musical for Rules Don't Apply), Jonah Hill (Best Actor, Comedy/Musical for War Dogs), Simon Helberg (Best Supporting Actor for Florence Foster Jenkins), something called My Life As A Zucchini for Best Animated Feature.
- Winona Ryder for Best Actress in a TV Drama (Stranger Things)? Not inexplicable, but not really a lead performance, even if she's billed first.
- It looks like Disney is making "How Far I'll Go" the song pushed from Moana.
- The obligatory "new shows the Globes fell for" this year are The Crown and This Is Us (which gets acting nods for Chrissy Metz and Mandy Moore in the insanely competitive consolidated supporting actress/TV category).
Posted by Matt at 9:06 AM
Thursday, December 8, 2016
MAYBE IF HE'S LUCKY, HE'LL GET A HUNG JURY: Judge Reinhold was arrested at Dallas Love Field today after becoming belligerent during a TSA screening.
Posted by Matt at 4:58 PM
YOU'RE WELCOME: As part of his quest to dominate all forms of entertainment, Dwayne Johnson can now add "recording artist with Hot 100 single" to his list of accomplishments.
Posted by Matt at 11:50 AM