Friday, December 16, 2016
Monday, December 12, 2016
START YOUR AWARDS RACE: As always, the Golden Globe nominations are a mixture of one part obvious (lots of love for La La Land and Manchester By The Sea) and one part bizarre. A few surprises to note:
- The Globes have apparently forgiven Mel Gibson, who gets best picture and best director nods for Hacksaw Ridge.
- Inexplicable nominations--Lily Collins (Best Actress, Comedy/Musical for Rules Don't Apply), Jonah Hill (Best Actor, Comedy/Musical for War Dogs), Simon Helberg (Best Supporting Actor for Florence Foster Jenkins), something called My Life As A Zucchini for Best Animated Feature.
- Winona Ryder for Best Actress in a TV Drama (Stranger Things)? Not inexplicable, but not really a lead performance, even if she's billed first.
- It looks like Disney is making "How Far I'll Go" the song pushed from Moana.
- The obligatory "new shows the Globes fell for" this year are The Crown and This Is Us (which gets acting nods for Chrissy Metz and Mandy Moore in the insanely competitive consolidated supporting actress/TV category).
Posted by Matt at 9:06 AM