Thursday, October 21, 2004

POOR BOYS AND PILGRIMS: Courtesy of the laptop I borrowed from the office and the office's Internet connection, just some random observations from Memphis for you.

1. When did Chrysler's PT Cruiser become an "economy vehicle" for car rental purposes? I figured when I rented an "economy" car, I'd get a Dodge Neon or something along those lines. Instead, I'm tooling around the Mid-South in this surprisingly compact behemoth. Also, the car radio has the novel feature that (at least for some stations), the artist and title playing scroll on the radio. (On a side note, is Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway" as annoyingly ubiquitious everywhere else as it has been here?)

2. Is there anything you can't make a slot machine theme out of? I had some luck on "Price Is Right" and "Hollywood Squares" machines, but I think my favorite was "You Might Be A Redneck If..." penny slots. Just as a thought, if you're playing "You Might Be A Redneck If..." penny slots, you might be a redneck. I wound up losing about 10-15 bucks, but given that I got a free lunch, pretty much a breakeven.

3. Are the members of Men At Work so desparate for money that they felt compelled to license "Who Can It Be Now" to Kmart for use in their Halloween costume ads?

4. One thing I always do when I'm in Memphis is visit one of my favorite independent bookstores. Just one reason why I love it? It's one of the very few places where you can find "Satan Is Real" on the record shelves and a copy of "The Official Fahrenheit 9/11 Reader" on the table right next to it. I only purchased one of the two, in an effort to balance the sales, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment