Sunday, April 19, 2009

Leonard Cohen's victory march: but please, no more Hallelujahs.

IT GOES LIKE THIS: Leonard Cohen, on That Song's ubiquity:
Well I was happy that the song was being used of course. There were certain ironic and amusing side bars, you know, because the record that it came from which was called Various Positions - that record Sony didn't wouldn't put out. They didn't think it was good enough... It had songs like Dancing to the End of Love, Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will. But it wasn't considered good enough for the American market and it wasn't put out. So there was a certain sense of a mild sense of revenge that arose in my heart. But I don't, you know, I was happy about it but it's I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it and the reviewer said - "Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?" And I kind of feel the same way.
Aidin Vaziri of the SF Chronicle honors Jeff Buckley and nine covers of other Cohen songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment