Thursday, August 13, 2009

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO GET: After a couple years on hiatus, the Cosmopolitan family has returned to Sesame Street. When we first started watching it with Cosmo Girl, Mr. Cosmo and I spent way too much time deliberating the differences between the Street of the '70s and the Street circa 2005. (Resolved: This House Likes Elmo's World.) But it's actually just as interesting to see how the show has changed just in the few years between Cosmo Girl and Cosmo Boy. Animated (claymated?) Ernie and Bert instead of "Journey to Ernie"? No more singing pipe organ for the number of the day? Really, really long Street sequences at the top of the show?

But Cosmo Boy's absolute faaavorite aspect of Sesame Street is something that I gather is new this past season: Murray Has a Little Lamb. Murray is the "What's the Word on the Street" monster, whose relevance I had questioned whenever I saw him in passing last season. (Apparently he's the crossover monster who hangs out in the real world. Kind of like International Grover only sticking to the five boroughs instead of, say, Bangladesh.) But now he's got his own gig with little lamb Ovejita, who I gather beat out Rosita, la Monstrua de las Cuevas, for the role of primary spanish-speaking muppet. (I smell a Title VII lawsuit.) There's actual stuff going on in the sketches, for which muppet wiki can give you the deets, but the thing that has Cosmo Boy rolling in the aisles is Ovejita's tendency to run into the camera frame unexpectedly, much like the mahna-mahna guy does. Some stuff is just funny, whether it's 1979 or 2009. The song is catchy, too.

(Sorry, no youtube at my office, but I suspect that one of my co-bloggers can help a monster out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment