Monday, June 23, 2014

WHERE WITCHES, GHOSTS, AND WOLVES APPEAR:  There was a bit of a kerfuffle a few weeks ago after a New Yorker item suggested that there had been a couple of substantial changes to the film adaptation of Into The Woods.  Now, Sondheim and his lawyer have issued a statement walking back some of the things said in the article, most notably confirming that an interaction between two characters and a song have not been deleted, as Sondheim originally suggested, and proclaiming that the film (which he has allegedly seen a rough cut of) "is not only a faithful adaptation of the show, it is a first-rate movie."  (That said, he doesn't deny that one character death has been removed--perhaps unsurprisingly, given that Disney has their own separate franchise around that character.)  Surprisingly, still no trailer, though you have to assume it goes with one of Disney's big late summer releases (Guardians of the Galaxy?, The Hundred Foot Journey?).


  1. Joseph Finn3:31 PM

    Makes sense. Hell, they also might have been just arguing about the cut. :)

  2. Eric J.3:45 PM

    I hadn't thought to check in with what @AngrySondheim was saying last week.

    This is what he said today:

    .@broadwayworld GOD DAMN IT. My statement was not printed in its entirety. At the end, it should say "So. Can we chill the FUCK out?"