- Even though they're being aggressively campaigned in Supporting Actress, the Globes nominated Rooney Mara in Carol and Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl as leads (Vikander also has a supporting nomination for Ex Machina). Cate Blanchett is widely considered a virtual lock on the prize at the Oscars, hence the category shifts.
- Room recaptured a little bit of mojo, with Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay nominations.
- The Martian (although it has a lot of funny moments) running as a Comedy is pretty blatant category fraud, right? That said, seems like The Big Short could throw a kink into that plan, with Best Picture, 2 Best Actor, and Best Screenplay nominations.
- As usual, the TV categories are where we get the really Globes-y nominations, where they like random newcomers (Rachel Bloom, Wagner Moura, Catriona Balfe) and name stars doing TV work (Patrick Stewart, Jamie Lee Curtis, Gael Garcia Bernal).
- A total of two network shows among 16 best TV series/movie/mini-series nominees: Empire and American Crime. The comedy nominations are all either premium cable or streaming.
- Globes fell hard for Mr. Robot, with a (well-deserved) nomination for Rami Malek, as well as a Best Supporting Actor nod for Christian Slater and a Best Drama nod.
Thursday, December 10, 2015
PRESENTED BY PIA ZADORA: Golden Globe nominations arrived this morning, and a few interesting things to note:
Posted by Matt at 9:49 AM