Sunday, November 17, 2002

I'M STARTING ON MY KNEES: So, what is this site anyway? Who am I, and why am I here?

Basic stats first: 30 years old. Married. Like so many other bloggers, an attorney. (And why is that? Not me, I mean, but the rest of you.) Native Philadelphian, practicing law here now for 5+ years. Rabid sports fan, especially the Iggles and Sixers, though today's unfortunate news is sitting in the household as -- well, if not quite on the level of the Kennedy assasination, at least up there on the level of the shock when Buckwheat was shot. Everyone's calling everyone today in dismayed disbelief.

Several reasons for the name of this blog, and for the blog itself. It's the name of an early song by Superchunk, possibly the Gratist Band Evir, on their 1991 No Pocky For Kitty album, the one that made me fall in love with them. And much of what I'll be doing here is just throwing ideas out there, whatever seems interesting at the time. And there will be occasional discussion of sports out here -- you know, where people, um, throw things. (In other words, no sticks n'pucks.)

My politics are liberal, although not necessarily Democratic. One of the things law school reinforced for me is the importance of listening to the other side, and my ideology is more pragmatic than it used to be. Which makes it less of an "ideology", I guess. But it's mine.

If you're looking for one constant thread here, it may well be that politics is a form of entertainment, even when not intended as such, and that conversely sports and popular culture are a rich source for political discussion. Don't get me started on Forrest Gump -- or, for that matter, the notion of "gutsy, hard working" white point guards compared to "naturally athletic" black competitors. Arrgh. When it comes up again, I will rant.

So this site will be interstitial. Not just law, not just politics, not just movies and pop culture. But somewhere in between. Like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment