Friday, February 21, 2003

THE BEST DISINFECTANT: I feel bad today.

I feel bad because my counter's telling me that I'm getting a lot of hits today for people searching for "koufax" and "gay" -- I'm #3 on Google right now for that. I feel bad because I don't want to be part of a machine that furthers the publication of gossip that is alleged to be untrue, even if Koufax is the one who's put this story back in the news.

Then again, I can't read into your motives to know why you're looking up information on the subject -- maybe it's to look up further denials, rather than the initial allegations. Maybe just to find more news on Koufax's current actions. Regardless, I'd rather you were coming here for something else, and I hope you'll enjoy the other content this site has to offer, including the stuff about someone else who shouldn't be perpetuating bad rumors about himself. Or Nell Carter, or my theory on the Oscar category for Best Documentary Feature.

I was thinking about this last night as I was considering a post on a show I saw on ABC last night, a "reality" program so debased that were trying to appeal to any lower audience demands it could only add fart jokes and full frontal nudity, and, really, it's about 75% of the way there already.

The show was so bad, I don't even want to encourage you to watch it just so you can confirm how bad it is. It's so bad, there's not even an angle from which to mock it, because it's conscious of its own depravity and, in fact, caters to it. The only thing that could make the show better would be if everyone involved in the show -- the creators, hosts and contestants -- were all placed in Oswald State Correctional Facility for crimes against humanity.

The show aspires to be trash, and it succeeds. Bravo. Way to make your parents proud.

It's so bad that I don't want to even call more attention to its existence. And yet, by posting this, I will. (At least, I won't name it.)

Just don't watch it. Please. For your own safety. Because television is only going to get worse from here, unless we demand that it get a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment