Wednesday, June 30, 2004

THE 'TMI' AWARD: Congratulations to Sean Burns of the Philadelphia Weekly, who in one week told me more about himself in two film reviews than I ever needed to know, ever, about any film critic.

On the DVD release of 'Ali':
It might be the greatest thing Mann's ever filmed--decades of prejudice and righteous indignation erupting into triumph the moment Sam Cooke breaks into a blistering "Bring It on Home to Me" at the Harlem Square Club, while a young Cassius Clay ferociously charges down a long Madison Square Garden hallway (all hallways are extra long in Mann's world) to finally claim his place as heavyweight champ.

Every time I watch it, this sequence practically makes me wet myself.

And on Steven Spielberg's camera work in The Terminal?
It's a movie so visually sophisticated you could probably enjoy it just as much with the sound turned off. Heck, I'll admit it: Certain crane shots in The Terminal actually gave me an erection.

Um, thanks for sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment