Wednesday, February 8, 2006

WE'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD: And not a moment too soon. After what seemed like weeks and weeks and weeks of Eastern European girls vamping their way through Christina Aguilera songs and mealy-mouthed little Clay Aiken wannabes with bad teeth, tonight we begin my customarily favorite phase of American Idol.

I generally put very little stock in the impressions formed during the audition round -- if I didn't find them independently entertaining, I certainly wouldn't bother to watch the auditions for plot advancement purposes. (Oh, and: Oh My God, was the non-vocal-cords-impaired twin last night spectacularly gorgeous, or what?)

But here's one thing that's been intriguing me. If you compare the number of noteworthy guys shown during the audition episodes to the number of memorable girls, it certainly seems like this is going to be a heavily femalecentric season. Do you think that's the case, or is there some significant population of male ringers that the producers are keeping under wraps for the time being? Conspiracy theories are, of course, welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment