Friday, November 2, 2007

NEXT YEAR, NATALIE COUGHLIN WILL REVEAL HERSELF TO BE A MEMBER OF FALUN GONG: The Olympics is, of course, always political. The Miracle on Ice, the '76, '80, and '84 Boycotts. But with less than a year to go ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, we should note the passing of John Woodruff who, like his much better known teammate Jesse Owens, shoved a Gold Medal right up Hitler's Aryan pie-hole in 1936:

Woodruff, the last surviving gold medalist from that U.S. team that included the legendary runner Jesse Owens, died Tuesday at an assisted living center near Phoenix, said Rose Woodruff, his wife of 37 years.

Nicknamed "Long John" for his nearly 10-foot stride, Woodruff was a lanky 21-year-old freshman at the University of Pittsburgh with just three years of competitive running under his belt when he sailed to the racially charged scene in Berlin.

On Aug. 4, 1936, he won the 800 meters using one of the most astonishing tactics in Olympic history. Boxed in by the pack of runners, he literally stopped in his tracks, then moved to the third lane and passed everyone to win the race in 1:52.9.

"I didn't panic," Woodruff told the New York Times in 2005. "I just figured if I had only one opportunity to win, this was it. I've heard people say that I slowed down and almost stopped. I didn't almost stop. I stopped, and everyone else went around me."



(Noted via commenter Mr. Heger)

No comments:

Post a Comment