Monday, December 15, 2008

I THINK STILL YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU'RE FORGETTABLE: As we have since 2003, we open the ALOTT5MA Award season with the award for Reality TV Host/Judge of the Year. These awards are intended to recognize notable achievements in the year of pop culture and society, for better or worse, and are doled out based on whim and caprice.

[Yes, we recognize that the Emmys have finally caught up to us in honoring this category.]

Past winners in this category include Robert K. Oermann of Nashville Star (2003), Ralph Garman (as Derek Newcastle) for Joe Schmo 2 (2004), Project Runway's Tim Gunn (2005), Tyra Banks for America's Next Top Model (2006), and Anthony Bourdain for Top Chef (2007).

It took me a while to figure out this year's winner, because there wasn't much new talent to evaluate -- what, I'm going to give this to Anne Slowey? But then it hit me, and it all made sense.

Because I've never given this award to Simon Cowell, yet without him this category might not even exist. C'mon.

This year, Cowell did nothing controversial, but that's the mark of his success: his judging criteria has become so well-elaborated and is so consistent and persuasive that viewers have generally incorporated it as their own. He's no longer America's Most Hated Judge; he's really the most trusted at this point. By and large, folks have rejected Paula's it's great that everyone's trying really hard babble and instead like judges who judge. And judge he did this season.
On CtCM, "I Shot The Sheriff": “Jason, stand back. That was utterly atrocious. That is a song you do not touch. The arrangement was atrocious, the performing and the singing was as bad as I ever heard. That was like a first round audition massacre. I don’t know what you were thinking.”

On Kristy Lee Cook, "God Bless The USA": “That was the most clever song choice I’ve heard in years.”

On CtCM, "Memory": "Jason it felt to me, and I'm sure to you, like the longest two minutes of your life, right? The reality was it came over as a young guy being forced by your mom and dad to sing a song at a wedding you didn't want to sing. It did, it did. You were miserable throughout, I was partly miserable throughout, it's not your style of music."

On YDA, "Another Day in Paradise": "You're becoming... like it's all getting a little bit gloomy here. You haven't got to keep singing sad songs. We had 'Imagine' last week, 'Another Day in Paradise' this week... I just think you've got to lighten up a little David. There's no question you're going to make it through to the finals next week. Probably going to be in the Final 2. But I think now we've got to say a slightly different more fun side occasionally, otherwise it might get a bit depressing."
Look, I could find plenty, you can find plenty. Cowell's harsh when it's deserved, but it makes his praise meaningful. Remember David Cook's cover of (Chris Cornell's cover of) "Billie Jean"? Here's what Cowell said: "David, that was brave. I mean, it could have either been insane or amazing, and I have to tell you, it was amazing."

And then there's the nuance. Michael Johns was eliminated from the show for a performance of "Dream On" that most of us liked. Here's what Simon said, though: "Michael look, I thought it was a very good performance. Why I'm slightly with Randy on this though is I don't like it when you do an impersonation of a rock star. I prefer it more with the kind of blues, R&B thing in your voice -- which we heard last week. So while I wasn't jumping out of my seat, I thought it was a little bit wannabe-ish."

He was right, and Johns went home. Cowell's judging is entertaining in and of itself, and when America listens to him (and we usually do), it makes for a better group of competitors overall. Justice delayed is not justice denied here, but it's about damn time that Simon Cowell won this award already. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment