Saturday, January 3, 2009

HOT HITS: Having recently listened to WXPN count down its Top 100 songs of 2008, I gave some thought to my favorite songs of the past year. I checked the Billboard charts, a helpful group of lists on amazon.com, and a good list compiled by Ed Masley of The Arizona Republic.

In the end, I had some trouble coming up with ten songs that I really loved. In any event, here they are in alphabetical order by title:

You Want the Candy by the Raveonettes (the wall of sound from the great girl groups of the 1960's as if performed by The Velvet Underground with some salacious wordplay)

That's Not My Name by the The Ting Tings (The Tings Tings had many good songs this year)

Sequestered in Memphis by The Hold Steady (The Hold Steady should be paying royalties to Mott the Hoople. I love the chorus: "In bar light, she looked all right/ In daylight, she looked desperate/ That's all right, I was desperate too")

Real Love by Lucinda Williams

No One by Alica Keys (I think of this as a 2007 song, but Billboard considers it a 2008 release)

Mercy by Duffy (this would have not sounded out of place on a soul oriented radio station in 1968)

Chasing Pavements by Adele (ditto)

Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa by Vampire Weekend (this is probably not my favorite song of the past year, but it is the song that will most clearly call to mind 2008 for me in the future)

American Boy by Estelle (feat. Kanye West) (pure pop for now people!)

Always a Friend by Alejandro Escovedo and Bruce Springsteen (the song of the summer!)

Feel free to list your favorites in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment