Smart Person: Let's look for planets!Some cool things about Gliese 581g, assuming (perhaps overly optimistically) that it has water:
Other Smart Person: Great idea! I'll get started right aw...
Third Smart Person4: Found one!
- The same side faces the sun all the time. So everybody can choose to live in the "twilight zone" -- the part of the planet where it's not superhot or supercold, and where it's always basically dusk.
- This would make solar power really efficient.
- It would also mean that you could mow your lawn any time of the day.
- Sentient beings from Gliese 581g would find our alternating day and night terrifying, or downright inconvenient.
- It's three times as big as Earth, so everybody can have a yard.
- It has a 37-day orbit, meaning that the Summer Olympics would happen every 148 days.
- It's three times the mass of earth, so walking up stairs would be murder.
- Might not have water, or might be an uninhabitable planet made of sulphur-smelling gas.
1Just" is in astronomical units of time, roughly translating to 10 earth years.
3Based on a sample size of ten stars surveyed and one Earth-like planet found. Results may not be statistically significant.
4After pause of 10 years during which other Smart Persons invented Facebook, Twitter, skinny jeans, Pinkberry, and Plants vs. Zombies.
5Approximately 20.5 years, assuming that you are a beam of light; longer if you are not.