- Joss Whedon and the cast of The Avengers--It's the #1 movie of the year by a big margin thus far, and the only thing I'm seeing the rest of the year that has a shot at topping it is The Hobbit, which I'm not convinced isn't going to disappoint commercially.
- Jennifer Lawrence--Star and face of The Hunger Games (the #3 movie of the year thus far), and a likely Oscar nominee for Silver Linings Playbook. She's easily going to be on the Top 10 list, but #1? I doubt it.
- Twilight/Kristen Stewart/Robert Pattinson--This is the easy choice to sell magazines, and Stewart has been the female lead in two $150M+ grossers this year, not an easy feat.
- Channing Tatum--Lead in 3 $100M+ grossers this year, covering comedy and drama, and will sell magazines.
- Seth MacFarlane--TV empire, what will almost certainly remain the highest-grossing comedy of the year, and hosting next year's Oscars? Again, sounds like a Top 10 choice, but I'm not convinced #1.
- E.L. James/50 Shades of Grey--Would be only second writer to be so recognized, but in terms of cultural force, there's a darn good case to be made. But would the cover sell?
- Taylor Swift--Would be the first ever repeat winner, but she's the logical choice for music this year if they want to go in that direction.
- The cast of the NCIS Franchise--TV's top scripted show by a country mile, with a third spinoff coming later this year. (Also possible in a similar vein? The cast of The Big Bang Theory.)
Monday, November 19, 2012
LET THEM ENTERTAIN YOU: As we near the end of the year, it's time to begin speculating about EW's Entertainer of the Year. My thoughts for the frontrunners:
Posted by Matt at 7:42 AM