- The breakthrough program of the year? Fargo, which got its entire "regular" cast nominated and a bunch of tech nominations, True Detective also did well, though wasn't able to get acting nominations beyond the two leads. Other new entrants in the top categories? Orange Is The New Black and Silicon Valley, which, interestingly, gets writing, directing, and series nominations, but not a single acting mention, not even for the late Christopher Evan Welch--this is displeasing.
- Despite the strong season, Good Wife was unable to break into Best Drama, which remains a wholly cable/Netflix affair. More sinfully, "Thicky Trick" wasn't nominated for original song.
- Interesting potential twofer? Allison Janney, who's nominated for both Best Supporting Actress Comedy for Mom and Best Guest Actress Drama for Masters of Sex.
- Emmy continues its love affairs with Downton Abbey and American Horror Story.
- Scandal does add nominations for Kate Burton and Joe Morton in the guest acting categories to a return appearance by Kerry Washington in lead, but no love for Jeff Perry (who certainly had a spectacular submission episode) or Bellamy Young? BOO!
Thursday, July 10, 2014
THE NOMINATIONS AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT A THICKY TRICK: Most of the Emmy nominations are pretty unsurprising, but a few things of note:
Posted by Matt at 9:58 AM