Tuesday, May 23, 2017

I-N-E-V-I-T-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y:  Unless y'all convince me otherwise, I don't quite see how it makes sense to do what would otherwise be a fifteenth annual Spelling Bee liveblog on the blog itself, as opposed to offering commentary on Twitter where people actually are.

Yes, there's a part of me that wants to treat the Bee as an annual Brigadoon, the one week a year that a mass audience would return again to this site (seriously, we had tens of thousands of views each day, and not just during our Special Special Guest years), but it strikes me as more stubborn than realistic to insist upon remaining with this platform.

The whole point of the Bee blog was to create a community of Bee enthusiasts to talk about some amazing kids, and ornery words, in real time. We can do that anywhere. Yeah, the 140 character limit is a pain, compared to a lot of the longform stuff I've been so proud to publish here, but if folks don't come here to participate, what's the point?  At least, that's my gut reaction as to how things would play out if we tried to centralize things here next week. Shonda, 2013:
What I love about the Bee is its celebration of intelligence.  The Bee at its best is a dance party for braininess, a nerdgasm for smarty-pants.  The Bee is home for those of us who maybe can not throw a ball or run without our inhalers.  The Bee is a place for people who like to read, who enjoy math, who love science and art and geography and words, words, words.  The Bee is for people who have plans that do not include being a Real Housewife of Anything.   The Bee is the only way our people will ever be on ESPN.   And that makes the Bee awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment