Monday, January 20, 2003

THE DUDE ABIDES: Did you know that Jeffrey Lebowski -- no, wait, "The Dude" (as opposed to the aging founder of the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers) -- was based on a real person? According to Roger Ebert, Jeff Dowd, the movie publicist and producer's representative who inspired the classic comedy, is now working on a memoir, titled Classic Tales and Rebel Rants from The Dude:
"It's great writing this book," The Dude enthused. "All I gotta do is look up stuff on Google and I find all my facts. Like I'll type in a place I was, and the stories will remind me of stuff that happened there."

His says his book is inspired by a statement of the novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez: "People want to hear about events as they wish they had happened, and not as they did happen."

See more of Ebert on The Dude here. Plus which, the magic that is Google has informed me The Dude really was a member of the Seattle Seven, though he may not have been involved in the writing of the original Port Huron Statement -- you know, before that compromised second draft . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment