Saturday, February 7, 2004

I DON'T CARE 2 WIN AWARDS, ALL I WANT 2 DO IS DANCE: Let me make sure I've got this right: the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences decided that having Janet Jackson open the Grammy telecast might be too controversial, so they decided to bring in Prince?

Hmm. Would that be the same Prince who recorded such ditties as "Jack U Off", "Darling Nikki", "Do Me Baby", "Gett Off" ("23 positions in a 1 night stand"), "Sister" ("I was only 16 but I guess that's no excuse/My sister was 32, lovely and loose") and "Sexy MF"? The same Prince who wore those yellow, assless pants at the MTV Awards? The same Prince who recorded an album too obscene to release, only to replace it with one that had this cover? The same Prince who fought so viciously with his label as to scrawl the word "slave" on his face is now the Prince who's going to save the reputation of the music industry?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Minnesota's shortest door-to-door evangelist, and I'm glad to see him back in public again. I look forward to this performance. But the man who sang that "incest is everything it's said to be" ain't exactly Pat Boone, and it's a bizarre choice.

FWIW, my advice for predicting the awards remains the same as last year: look for dead people, and music not-out-of-place at Starbucks. If you want the surest bet of all, Lenny Kravitz always wins Best Rock Vocal Performance (Male), winning four out of the past five years (not nominated last year).

(My previous thoughts on the nominees are here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment