Sunday, June 18, 2006

OR DOES IT ACTUALLY STAND FOR JAY? I've been reading the Life Cycles section of the Jewish Exponent for many many years. (When you're from a city where Jewish geography is so ridiculously much a part of the landscape, you really have no excuse to avoid reading who's gotten engaged to whom, who's gotten married to whom, and who's procreating with whom.) I rarely encounter news of anyone I know anymore, being too old to know most of the engaged/newlywed couples and too young to start checking out the obituaries. But it shouldn't surprise anyone here when I tell you that I read the Exponent's baby announcements religiously (sorry, I crack myself up sometimes) just for the names. And this week, I had an honest-to-God belly laugh without the merest iota of snark:

"Carol and Harris Vederman of Bethesda, Md., announce the birth of their daughter, Cecelia J., on April 25. [Shoutouts to grandparents omitted.] Cecelia is named in loving memory of her paternal great-grandmother Cecelia Hyman, and JDate.com, through which her mother and father met in 2003." I love it.

(To paraphrase one of my favorite Adamisms: JDate.com -- bringing together the unchosen Chosen People.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:05 PM

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about car insurance for free.
    Regards

    Take a look at my weblog ... chicago auto insurance

    ReplyDelete