Thursday, June 1, 2006

SPELLER NATION: We are not the only ones blogging about the Bee. Tennessee's Emily Eytchison (eliminated on "seigneur" yesterday; has she not seen Braveheart?) is keeping a journal for her local paper:
During the Memorial Day Barbecue at Turkey Run, spellers and family members had a chance to show off their other talents. People sang karaoke, with songs like “Dancing Queen” by Abba, “Crazy” by Patsy Cline, “Redneck Woman” by Gretchen Wilson, and “Eye of the Tiger,” known only to my source (Dad) as the theme from a Rocky movie. There were some surprising moments: One boy sang “You May Be Right” by Billy Joel (he was about 9, I believe), a girl named Emily from Canada sang a beautiful rendition of Think Of Me from Phantom of The Opera, and two little boys began break-dancing during one of the group dances to “I Like To Move It, Move It” from Madagascar. Mom and I were back-up dancers for The Monkees’ “I’m A Believer,” and I sang “I Dreamed A Dream” from Les Miserables. For sports fanatics, there were several games of volleyball, and a softball game of Kids versus the Grown-ups. Another surprise was when our bus to the event to a wrong turn--into the CIA Highway Research Facility, where we were greeted by security guards with automatic weapons. Oops!

Eytchison also provides a scouting report on some of the female "Word-a-holics" and their year-round joint preparatory efforts, and it's impressive and heartening.

Reminder: you have until noon eastern, when Samir Patel steps in front of the ESPN cameras, to join everyone else and enter our 2006 ALOTT5MA Spelling Bee Pool.

2 comments:

  1. Theresa3:54 PM

    I really want to join Speller Nation I really want to win the bee so much, like with all of my heart, but I never got the link to speller nation, which I want to join greatly. Please answer. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, we have no idea.  Sorry, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete