Sunday, January 21, 2007

TURN THE KEY. SIR. SIR, TURN THE KEY. SIR. SIR.: Due to a TiVo tangle between the Backyardigans and Battlestar Galactica. I've just now caught up my BSG viewing. Come Monday, I'll be posting a recurring thread on the remainder of Season 3.

To me, a science fiction fan from before I can remember,* the thing I like best of all are when the rules of the universe -- however created -- remain rules. This made quite clear in the miniseries, when a third of the fleet lacked faster-than-light drives and suffered the necessary consequence. No last minute warp field expansion, no hiding in the gullet of a giant space worm with no possible ecological niche. The Cylons show up. The fleet that can leave, does. And ninteen thousand stragglers are vaporized, outgass into hard vacuum, or -- perhaps least mercifully -- wedged in some compartment of a broken ship silently promising to Laura Roslin "I kill you filthy."

Nevertheless, with the conclusion of the first half of Season 3, I'm a little annoyed. Yes, Adama made it clear that they themselves had nuclear weapons -- he lent one to Dr. Baltar after all, and we know where that left us -- but they seem to have been forgotten until convenient. You think Galactica's (nor less so Pegasus') atomics might have come in handy during "Exodus", no? But now that we need a big mid-season cliffhanger, and there's a big to-do about deploying the atomics, we don't even get a John Spencer-Michael Madsen standoff, just a schoolmarmish eyeroll.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a solid Chief Tyrol episode tonight who -- to me at least -- has become one of the most interesting characters on the show.

I'll put up a thread on the episode later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment