Monday, October 22, 2007

AS THE HOFF SAYS, C'MON AND JUMP IN MY CAR: Indian summer -- that inappropriately-named warm period that follows the first cold snap of the year -- is one of my favorite phenomena. I love warm weather, but living in eternally-balmy LA for all those years made me forget how much I like the tentative, hesitating warmth of unseasonable days like today.

My fondest memory of Indian summer is of a Saturday in the last October I spent in Seattle, when I spent most of the day tooling around my favorite parts of the city on my motorcycle -- along the canal across from Seattle Pacific, into Montlake and the arboretum, up into Sand Point and down among the waterfront cabins, then back up with the lake and the Eastside filling up the rear-view mirror. I have had a lot of memorable drives -- I-70 dipping down into Colorado River canyons; Route 34 into the back roads of Woodbridge, Connecticut; Highway 1 up into and down out of the Canadian Rockies; Kamehameha Highway on Oahu -- but I think that lazy Seattle circuit was my favorite.

We've already done the "worst airport" thread today. Does anybody have a best drive on this beautiful fall day?

No comments:

Post a Comment