- While Billy Elliot, Next To Normal, and (somewhat surprisingly) Shrek: The Musical are nominated across the board in the top musical categories, the fourth slot is filled differently in each of the three categories--best musical, Rock of Ages, best book, [title of show], best score, 9 to 5.
- Constantine Maroulis becomes (I believe) the first Idol alum to be nominated for a Tony for his performance in Rock of Ages. (Fantasia would have been, but since she didn't originate the part, was not eligible.)
- God of Carnage scored the difficult task of getting all four of its principal cast members nominated in the leading category, and is the clear frontrunner for Best Play, given that Pulitzer winner Ruined did not transfer.
- Allison Janney is the only one of the three principals from 9 to 5 to score a nod, where she's almost certainly doomed to lose to Alice Ripley.
- Surprise snubs include no nod for John Goodman for Waiting for Godot, no nods in any category for the much-praised The Seagull, and no non-technical nods for the Daniel Radcliffe Equus.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
FOR THE LOVE OF THE AMERICAN THEATRE WING: Tony Award nominations are out, and a few things of note:
Posted by Matt at 10:08 AM