Wednesday, May 6, 2009

HEARTBREAK, OLD FRIEND, GOODBYE IT'S ME AGAIN: Just wanted to say some quick, contingent, and possibly premature goodbyes to a show I've watched a long time, a show I've watched for a couple of years, and a show I began watching seven weeks ago.

The reason for the unevenness in this season of Scrubs (finale tonight), I think, is that its main characters have nothing to say that they haven't said before. They seem like a rock band on the second-to-last night of a 100-city world tour, playing the same songs the same way in the same order and just looking forward to a little time off. Meanwhile, the second-tier players elevated to Tier 1a this season -- especially Janitor, but also Ted and Denise/Jo, and, for his brief run, Aziz Ansari -- have been the bright spots. I was sold on this show from the moment in Episode 1 when JD said that Elliot's rear end was like two potato chips nestled together, and I think I described it that season as the spiritual descendant of Parker Lewis Can't Lose (which is intended as praise), but it's time to go. And I'm a sucker for series finales, so I'm looking forward to tonight.

Chuck, on the other hand, I already miss. Usually when shows I like fail, I understand why. They're understated, dark, subtle, too clever by half, contrarian, challenging, or contemptuous of parts of the audience that are necessary for mass popularity. Chuck isn't. It is bright, shiny, optimistic, brisk, pretty. It features excellent acting, physical comedy, and palpable chemistry among both its leads and its supporting players. It is genuinely funny and ably pushes emotional buttons. It plots an easy-to-follow through-line and doesn't sweat minor inconsistencies. It is not prissy about being commercial and is gleefully positive about its product placement. The only show I can think of that so openly and competently courted popularity is Friends. I cannot fathom why Chuck isn't a huge success. To paraphrase a character in a show that was a predictable (if sad) failure, if you can't make money on Chuck you should get out of the money-making business.

Better Off Ted, as I've said, has a much lower ceiling for ratings. But it was a wonderful diversion while it lasted. Spacewoman thought last night was not as great as the middle of the short season, but I really liked it. The joke about the corporation "individualizing" its employees' cubicles with one of four themes (cats, space, classic cars, and Green Bay Packers) was great. As in prior episodes, though, the show paid off what seemed like a throwaway joke with an examination of what would happen if the joke were taken seriously. This show takes the ordinary workplace comedy down completely unexpected paths, and for that alone, I will miss it.

Yes, I realize that all three of these shows are on the bubble in some way or another, but I'm not holding my breath for any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment