Thursday, October 8, 2009

YOU SAID SOMEDAY I'D HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY, I'D BE A MILLIONAIRE, BUT WHEN THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT I FOUND OUT HOW MUCH YOU REALLY CARED: I don't drive terribly often, and almost never on a weekday morning, but I happened to drive Cosmo Girl to school today and thus happened to be listening to the XM 80s station around 8 am when the DJ (are they still called DJs?) mentioned that there were still some cabins available for the 2nd Annual Rick Springfield cruise. That's right, boys and girls, apparently you can go on a Carnival cruise from Miami to Cozumel next month with Rick Springfield. (The best part of the pitch was that on Fan Appreciation Night -- the last night of the cruise -- Rick will be playing the Working Class Dog album in its entirety live on stage for the first time ever! Forget that Springsteen "Born to Run" concert last month -- this is news.)

I was ten when Working Class Dog came out, so while I remember the "Jessie's Girl" phenomenon and owned the album, I was a little young for the Rick Springfield squeeing sweet spot. So who exactly comprises the target audience for this cruise? Is it women between three and ten years older than me, who were a little less pre-pubescent back in 1981, looking to toss back some rum punches and party until late in the night with their teen idol crooning "Red Hot and Blue Love" over on the lido deck? Or was Springfield the David Cook of the early 80s, giving all the thirty-somethings something to talk about, making this a little more of a verging-on-senior-citizen-status cruise? Pictures from last year's cruise seem to indicate the former.

I hate to be judgmental, because, you know, we try to avoid that sort of thing around here, but I do feel a need to say just this: ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment