Tuesday, February 23, 2010

THERE’S A LOT OF GIRLS WHO SING AND SOME OF THEM ARE GOOD AND SOME OF THEM ARE NOT BUT IT’S ALWAYS KINDA COOL THAT MOMENT WHEN THEY FIRST STEP TO THE MIKE: Welcome to Year of the Chick Singers on American Idol -- for whatever reason, there's a sharp divide in the twelve between Traditional Idol Divas and a group of guitar-playing, quirky singers of a sort not as often seen on the show, but wholly appropriate in an Idol era in which artistry and interpretation has become increasingly important. But can they sing?

Kim: I felt like a whole flock of quirky girls sat at home watching AI last year saying to themselves, hey, what’s up with this flappy Megan Joy chick? I can do that too, only marginally less weird. No one was really painfully horrific, but very few of them made an impact on me one way or the other. (Oh, and this is the first season of Idol in which I am joining the show in the semi-finals. I have watched zero minutes of the show prior to tonight.)

Adam: Less weird? You want to revisit that statement after Lilly and Bowersox? I basically didn't watch until Hollywood Week, but tonight's padded six-singers-per-hour show gave plenty of background, I thought. What I liked about tonight structurally was the experimentation with rotating the order of judges' comments. We'll see what dynamics work.

Kim: Lilly is obviously one of the Megan Joy acolytes. Didi too. I still don’t like the four judge format, and the rotation made me dizzy. You know what struck me: the show is in its ninth season. These kids have totally grown up on American Idol. The 17 year olds probably don’t remember life before Kelly Clarkson. Hand me my Metamucil and a walker, Adam, and let’s get started.

Adam: Well, Paige Miles started us off with a song that was All Wrong Now. Back in the early days of Idol, performances like that constituted rock and roll. Now? Shouty and unmemorable, though in the context of what followed, not so bad that she needs to go home.

Kim:Yeah. The voice was big, the runs were big, but I didn’t care much, Ashley Rodriguez was worse – all breathy in the verses and nothing in the chorus. She looked much better, though, then she did in her clip package. How’s that for damning with faint praise?

Adam: She wasn't completely on the beat, and it was just a'ight. (The really weird part, though, was Kara's calling Leona Lewis the Mariah Carey of our generation. When Lewis writes a Christmas song that'll be around in a hundred years or comes anywhere close to Mariah's eighteen number one singles, we can revisit.) But at least Ashley picked a song she could sing. Janell didn't. The key to Heart’s “What About Love” is flipping the switch when the chorus comes and belting. She didn’t. It’s a song that requires a big voice, and given the example of Carrie Underwood and Allison Iraheta on “Alone,” this mess didn't cut it. You can't leave that large of a gap between what we expect and what she delivered. Bad, bad choice.

Kim: I was intrigued by the little clip of Janell doing her take on the 2010 coffeehouse thing, so was most surprised when it turned out to be this Disney World version of “What About Love.” Didn’t work one bit. This was the point at which I wondered whether missing all the auditions and Hollywood stuff was a really bad idea. But then we got Lilly Scott, crushing a Beatles Song I’d never heard of about dear Henry fixing the hole in the bucket, and I realized that no, it wasn’t me – it was them. Four singers in, and I finally think someone is worth listening to.

Adam: Indeed -- and in the run of three Beatles songs in a row (seriously: never heard of? It's on Sgt. Pepper), Lilly's was by far the most interesting, and I always did wonder what would happen if someone with Mary Lou Lord's voice auditioned for Idol. Lookit: I'm not entirely sure what the point of that interpretation was, but I want to see more of what comes from the artist who chose to do that.

Kim: Yep, I’m not a Beatles person. I actually liked all three Beatles renditions, including Haeley Vaughn’s. That may have just been because I was expecting any redo of “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” to suck, but I enjoyed it. Katelyn Epperly was an interesting performance: I liked the singing but found her persona to be so very, very annoying that it detracted from the quite good “Oh Darling.” Blonde curly people shouldn’t do black feathers in their hair. I agree with Kara – the feathers plus the lipstick plus the dress was too trollopy.

Adam: Yeah, someone turned the Frozen Donkey Wheel and sent Katelyn's hair back to 1984. Her performance felt old to me, and not in a good way. It was forgettable. Haeley, on the other hand, was weird and quirky and charming as hell, and I want to see her succeed on this show.

Kim: I’m glad you agree with me on Haeley – I was a little thrown by the harshness of the judges’ comments. I have very little to say about Lacey Brown or Michelle Delamor. Neither one did a thing for me – although I must note that I’m not sure I have ever liked a performance of an Alicia Keys song, whether by someone on AI or by Alicia Keys herself, so I’ll wait to see what Michelle brings next week.

Adam: And I'm a big fan of Keys; she's managing to record original, lasting pop standards while we're watching. I thought Michelle was competent in a wedding singer-y way, and at this point I'll take it. As for Lacey, what is a “lanside?” It’s a song that’s been covered so well by so many disparate artists (Smashing Pumpkins, Dixie Chicks), and this was just crap. What did she think she’d show off about herself by doing this? The only good thing about this performance is that it led Kara to invoke The Sundays, making this the first time I’ve thought about the band in about five years.

Which brings me to Didi, and I want to steal one of your idioms for this: There was personality! There were notes! Unforced and sweet. Just lovely.

Kim: That’s one of my idioms? I need to listen to myself more often. I liked her too, although it did feel a little like one of those songs you hear when you’ve been sitting in a Starbucks for a little bit too long. She’s got a lot of potential. But now I have a question. What of Siobhan Magnus the apprentice glassblower? (That entire concept feels like it was lifted straight out of a medievally influenced fantasy novel.) Much as I appreciate a nice looooooow low note on a girl, I found her “Wicked Game” positively dreary. Adam, what thinkest thou this night of the lass Siobhan Magnus the apprentice glassblower?

Adam: Yeah, the pride of Marston Mills (srsly, "Cape Cod" is not the name of a single town) let me down. "Wicked Game" is a fragile, delicate song ... and she interpreted it all wrong. Way too belty. Crystal Bowersox, however, won the night for me. There was nothing special about the performance, just a simple song done with enthusiasm and spirit, but I loved it. Loved the harmonica, loved the fact that she has no idea what she's in for, love the honesty that she's just trying to build a better life for her kid. If I'm calling for anyone tonight, it's her.

Kim: What’s not to love? Although she does have serious Brooke White backtalk potential: eventually, she’s going to go too far with the dialoguing with the judges, and it’s going to get annoying. “Oh yeah, David Bowie would be cool!” is sweet tonight, but it could easily escalate into the kind of shut your mouth already stuff that got Brooke into trouble. I was a little surprised that the harmonica interlude went on quite as long as it did. Give the girl some Bruuuuuuuce!

So then there’s Katie Stephens, about whom I have only one comment. That comment is this: It is way too soon to do an Adam Lambert song. I wonder whether it seemed like a much better idea in rehearsals, or whether the producers are simply trying to overcome the perception (or should we say the axiom) that there’s a pimp slot?

Adam: That song is cursed. It sent Lambert to the bottom two and eliminated two semifinalists in one week. You remember the dog walker, right? If I wanted a teenager aping a grownup song well, I’d have brought back Paris Bennett. This was a mistake.

So, overall: no outright disasters tonight, but that "Landslide" was close. I'm just prematurely excited by the mess we may have of a bunch of guitar-strumming hippie chicks being confronted with Disco or Motown weeks. Who are you calling for?

Kim: I feel a little handicapped here by lack of prior viewing. I’ll send home Ashley Rodriguez and . . . Lacey Brown? Katie Stephens? The flock of hippie chickens are fine. What about you?

Adam: There's no one who clearly gots-to-go. Janell and Lacey, I think, more on lack of judgment than lack of talent. Let's see what the men can bring tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. That first hour was scary bad, but the second hour was much better. I liked Siobhan (Wicked Game), Crystal (Hand In My Pocket) and Didi (The Way I Am) the best, in that order. I also liked Lilly (Fixing a Hole) and hope she doesn't get an early exit. I briefly lived in Naples, Fla., and wanted to like Paige, but her lack of air time in the early rounds and her mediocre version of "All Right Now" probably won't keep her around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tortoiseshelly11:10 PM

    Agree with StvMg - my top picks are Crystal (I love her), Didi and Lilly. I thought Siobhan started too low, but sounded better as the song went on. Katie sang reasonably well, but I just don't care much about her and can't see myself going out of my way to vote for her, especially since it seems she may be AI's pimp contestant this year. I also like Michelle, despite being sick to death of "Fallin'".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that first hour was rough.  I really liked Crystal and Siobhan and I like Didi enough to root for her even though I thought she was much better when she did the Kara song during Hollywood week. I'm pulling for Lilly to stick around because I think she can do better than she did tonight, and her performance tonight was interesting enough to make me wonder what she'll do next week. 

    Katelyn was better than I expected. I didn't think she was outstanding, but definitely better than I expected. 

    Not a fan of that Haley girl. I thought she was quite possibly the worst of the night. Her voice just hurts my ears. I was surprised when she made Top 24 - I guess the judges see/hear something I don't. But oh how I hope she goes home soon! 

    My first thought after Katie Stevens performed was "I wonder if she did beauty pageants?" and then Simon described her performance as "pagenaty." I like when he says what I'm thinking. I do like her though (and I actually really like that Michael Buble song - just not for her), so I hope she sticks around. I'd be surprised if she doesn't. Same for Janell. I didn't really dig her performance tonight but it was just one performance. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. <span>Yeah, that first hour was rough.  I really liked Crystal and Siobhan and I like Didi enough to root for her even though I thought she was much better when she did the Kara song during Hollywood week. I'm pulling for Lilly to stick around because I think she can do better than she did tonight, and her performance tonight was interesting enough to make me wonder what she'll do next week.   
     
    Katelyn was better than I expected. I didn't think she was outstanding, but definitely better than I expected.   
     
    Not a fan of Haley. I thought she was quite possibly the worst of the night. Her voice just hurts my ears. I was surprised when she made Top 24 - I guess the judges see/hear something I don't. But oh how I hope she goes home soon!   
     
    My first thought after Katie Stevens performed was "I wonder if she did beauty pageants?" and then Simon described her performance as "pagenaty." I like when he says what I'm thinking. I do like her though (and I actually really like that Michael Buble song - just not for her), so I hope she sticks around. I'd be surprised if she doesn't. Same for Janell. I didn't really dig her performance tonight but it was just one performance.</span>

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only problem with Bowersox tonight was that her singing Alanis Morrisette was exactly as cliche as whatshername picking Leona Lewis or the other whatshername choosing Alicia Keys.  I was glad Kara said, "coffee shop" because it's exactly what I was thinking.  I started composing my mental playlist of likely Bowersox songs: Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, Jewel, Indigo Girls, Tracy Chapman...  Although if she manages to sneak Janis Ian on some week, she'll get my votes forever.

    I was pleased with Haeley's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" even if it did have problems because it was at least interesting. 

    I liked Didi's singing but hated that song.  I'm just not sure about any song that namechecks Rogaine.

    And, surprisingly, I liked Kaetlyn.  I was surprised she chose that song and I was impressed with what she did with it.

    By the way, are we ready for Haeley's Year You Were Born song?  Which will be from either 1993 0r 1994.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lisased11:21 PM

    I thought Crystal's assessment of AI was refreshingly honest -- "I'm here for the opportunity". I hope the AI diehards out there don't hold it against her. She's my favorite. That said, I thought almost everyone sounded a little nervous, particularly Lacey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie's song was the 2nd oldest of the night (from 1965, I think).  Only I Wanna Hold Your Hand was older and Haeley at least re-interpreted it somewhat.   Katie just sang the song like you'd hear it on the jukebox.  Besides, I still remember Lambert tearing it up JUST LAST SEASON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked Lilly, think Epperly has some potential and lenjoyed Siobhan, but I really like that song, so I'm biased.  Didi seems like a Brooke White clone.  I'd like to see more of Katie, just thought that was a bad song choice.  I'm not a big fan of Crystal yet - to reference the comments immediately above me, much more Watts than lisased.

    Haley's voice is like something out of a nightmare and I hope she kindly leaves on Thursday.  I imagine she'll be accompanied by Lacey or Paige.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered about her comments - if the audience will hold it against her.  It's supposed to be your dream, not your dream paycheck, if the mythology is to be believed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Added: so far, Theory #2 holding up insofar as the judges' comments focused more on originality than pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fred App9:02 AM

    I have to say I was underwhelmed. I liked Haeley's version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" a lot more than the judges, but not enough to really care. Lilly and Didi and someone else whose name escapes me sounded original, but -- as you point out -- in the Megan Joy type of way that can grow annoying when you have to listen to it every week. If the women are supposedly so much stronger than the guys this year, I'm not looking forward to tonight's show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lisased10:09 AM

    That version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" sounded a lot like the version in "Across the Universe", sung by a girl about her lesbian crush. I thought it was very sweet, but I want to hear something else from Haeley. I also want someone to correct her name, but that's the editor in me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genevieve10:32 AM

    I just got so annoyed with the judges, telling people they wanted originality and not to sing what you'd expect them to sing, then slamming Haeley's very different version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and telling her she was confused because first she said she was pop/country and now she sang this, and telling Katie she was wrong to pick a song that was too old and she should be singing a teenager's song.  I did find her quirky and charming and different,   Not my favorite of the night (probably Lilly, loved her song choice and how she did it), but I gave her some votes because I think she's worth keeping on.

    The kiddo and I really liked Katie Stevens from earlier rounds, and we didn't know the song so had no preconceptions about it being an "old" song for her.  We sent her some votes.  He's swayed by the fact that he reminds him of a cross between his two teenage cousins.

    I enjoyed Crystal's performance but thought Simon had a point about it being something you might hear at a coffeehouse or outside the subway - but I like that kind of music and don't usually see it on Idol, so I'm for her.  I liked Didi's a lot and totally disagreed with Simon that there was no "star power".  Didn't know the song, but enjoyed it. 
    We really liked Ashley Rodriguez in prior rounds, so were disappointed with how she did this time.  Ditto Janell - liked her when she did a funky coffeehouseish Etheridge-y thing in Hollywood week, thought she was bad doing Heart.

    Lacey should go, ASAP.  Not a fan of Katelyn or Paige.  I like Siobhan, liked the low low note, but that take on the song didn't work for me (it was original, though). 
    So how many people get eliminated next?  Is it even for girls/guys?  And wait, Thursday? It's on THREE nights this week? Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genevieve10:33 AM

    The "I did find her quirky and charming and different" referred to Haeley.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the next three weeks, the bottom two of each gender go home -- so we go from 24 to 20 to 16 to 12 before one-a-week eliminations in the big room.  That third week -- from 16 to 12 -- is the most difficult week statistically until they get to the final four.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christy Santos11:10 AM

    I thought the same thing. Didn't seem original to me at all. That happens alot on AI though. You think someone's doing an interpretation, except it's an interpretation that someone else did first. I was seriously underwhelmed with the whole night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scott1:20 PM

    Seems like there's a love/hate thing with Haeley.  I'm in the latter group.

    ReplyDelete