Saturday, June 19, 2010

LARGER THAN LIFE: Woody Allen once said of him, “Manute Bol is so skinny they save money on road trips. They just fax him from city to city.”

The only player in NBA history to average more blocks than points per game, the 7'7" Dinka dunker went from a life minding cattle in a remote corner of his native Sudan to the University of Bridgeport to the NBA, from which he sent millions back to his homeland and towards which he devoted his years in retirement, brokering a peace treaty to end the civil war. After his NBA career ended, he'd move onto the CBA and whatever else would pay him -- a stint as a jockey, as a hockey goalie, boxing William "the Refrigerator" Perry, whatever: "There’s no way I can put the money in my pocket while my people are getting beat up,” he once said. “Whatever I can do to help my people I will do. I feel whatever I make here I make for my people.”

Sadly, he died today in Virginia at the age of 47 of acute kidney and skin disease.

[Added WaPo obit, with this awesome quote: "You know, a lot of people feel sorry for him, because he's so tall and awkward," Charles Barkley, a former 76ers teammate, once said. "But I'll tell you this -- if everyone in the world was a Manute Bol, it's a world I'd want to live in."]

[Added again: Bol may have been responsible for inventing or popularizing the phrase "my bad."]

The NYT's Nick Kristof just tweeted that Bol was "a moral giant" for his work with the nonprofit Sudan Sunrise, and Kansas City's Sam Mellinger has more on his life and works. Sports Illustrated has a photo gallery, Matt reminds me of his SNL appearance, Dan McQuade locates Kenn Kweder's tribute in song, and below the fold, perhaps my favorite Bol memory:



4 comments:

  1. So sad.  That KC article really should be read for how he pretty much bankrupted himself for his homeland.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam C.5:12 PM

    I'm in a state of disbelief right now. I have a couple Manute stories. I recently friended Kenn Kweder on Facebook; when I was in college, Kenn used to play one of our favorite bars Monday nights, and the setlist would often include "The Ballad of Manute Bol." Since friending Kenn, I had noticed Manute often appearing among my Facebook friend suggestions - clearly he and Kenn had (re?)connected. For the past couple weeks I'd been thinking about friending Manute, but I never pulled the trigger.

    Which is too bad, because he seemed to be a terrific guy. When I used to work in the Main Line suburb of Bala Cynwyd, our office building also housed a steak place with a bar that we'd occassionally hit after work on Fridays. It also happened to be down the road from the Sixers training facility. One night, in walks Manute with a buddy, and if ever there was a needle-across-the-record moment, this was it. No one seemed to know quite how to react. But next thing you know, Manute is holding court at the end of the bar, an infectious smile on his face - clearly having a great time just being Manute, talking with whomever came by. Totally could have chosen to be private and aloof, but made time for anyone who wanted to chat.

    RIP, Manute...Manu-Tay Bol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan6:30 PM

    Aw, what a story. Sad to hear he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not enough time for a very significant man.

    ReplyDelete