Tuesday, April 4, 2006

I'M A VERY LITTLE BIT COUNTRY: Apropos of nothing timely, here's a video clip of Kelly Clarkson singing Stuff Like That There. (Go to the AI performance in clip #37.)

From the sublime to the, well, not, tonight was country night on AI. Setting aside my bummedness that no one delivered up a classic Kenny Rogers or Patsy Cline tune, I enjoyed a couple of people -- both of whom, interestingly, join us from last week's bottom three. Ace, in particular, connected with both the song (Keith Urban's "I Wanna Cry," for those of you who, like me, aren't so plugged into the country thing) and the audience in a way that he normally does not and which was quite unusual in tonight's performances. And Katharine's "Bringing Out the Elvis" was great, except for some swallowing of the low notes. Actually, it was this performance that made me go hunting around for the Clarkson clip -- I want a big band night!

But generally, this wasn't a spectacular night in Idoland. Elliott, Daughtry, and Bucky were all fine if uninspiring, although I thought this was a weird week for Daughtry to decide to sing a straight and relatively dull ballad. Mandisa was better than the judges gave her credit for being. Kellie did as good a job as one would expect during white trash week -- hey, don't yell at me, did you listen to those lyrics? She came across as some sort of weird automaton, though, particularly with all the wiggly-eyebrow nonsense.* And to round out the evening, inhabiting the "ouch" category with gusto: Taylor and Paris. Yick. Double yick.

(*I also don't buy her "explanation" of the seafood pronunciations, although I love that the contestants are being made to answer for the internet chatter after each week's episode. Such is our great power -- mwah hah hah!)

So who goes home? I have no clue. I am expecting to see Paris in the bottom three, but beyond that I just don't know. Does Bucky finally get his long-overdue boot during country week? Other than Ace, all of the repeat bottom three types are gone. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment