Monday, June 5, 2006

ERIC GREGG (1951-2006): Former National League umpire Eric Gregg, whose battles with his weight were a constant struggle during the past two decades, died this evening following a massive stroke. He was 55.

Of all the Gregg stories I'm reading today, this one's my favorite:**
Larry Bowa, a coach for the Phillies in the 1990s, remembered a steamy day in Florida when Lenny Dykstra argued balls and strikes with Gregg, hoping an ejection would give him an extra day off.

"Eric said, 'Lenny, I know exactly what you want me to do. You want me to run you out of this game.' And he says, 'If I got to stay in this heat, you got to stay in this heat, so it doesn't matter what you call me, how many times you call me, I'm not running you out of this game,'" Bowa said.

(**Veracity of anecdote challenged, corrected in Comments.)

The Philadelphians around here all love and remember him for the joy he gave to the game he never truly left; our Atlanta readers, no doubt, will only remember the generous strike zone he afforded Livan Hernandez in Game 7 of the 1997 LCS. You can get to know him better in this 1999 profile by the City Paper's Howard Altman.

No comments:

Post a Comment