Saturday, March 10, 2007

IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I FINALLY FIGURED OUT IT WASN'T A MOVIE ABOUT A BOWLING PRODIGY: I saw 300 last night, the first time I think since the Battle of Thermopylae that I had seen a film on its opening night. And just like the majority of the reviews, my thoughts are mixed. Ultimately, though, the film is nothing short of visually stunning. It's an excellent translation of the graphic novel form to the big screen. Sure the story is goofy and the politics questionable, but if like Joey, you too like movies about gladiators (and don't mind a beheading or two or three or four) this is a must-see on the big screen. (And a note to the new parents out there, unlike the couple at the theater last night who chose to bring their three-month-old to the show, you might want to leave junior at home for this film.)

Update: Apparently the packed theater where I saw 300 was hardly an anomaly.

No comments:

Post a Comment