Wednesday, March 7, 2007

NOVELS INTO FILMS: Last night I happened to see in quick succession ads for three upcoming films based upon novels or short stories I had already read. The movies are:
Although I loved the book, I am somewhat skeptical about the film version of The Namesake simply because the novel does not seem like a promising basis for a movie. I will note that the director Mira Nair has an excellent track record (Monsoon Wedding, Mississippi Masala).

I believe Shooter will be an excellent action film. It stars Mark Wahlberg in a role that seems suited to him. I thought the book was first rate.

I am intrigued by The Last Mimzy. I LOVED the short story upon which it is based. The story (and the film, as far as I can tell) focus upon two siblings who begin to develop special talents after they find a mysterious box of toys from the future. The film includes blog favorite Rainn Wilson in a lead role.

Over the long run, I have often been disappointed when books I have read have been adapted into movies. We shall see how these three fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment