Sunday, May 20, 2007

DECIDEDLY NOT PALAVER: On Friday, ESPN's Dan Patrick interviewed five-time National Spelling Bee finalist Samir Patel on the radio. (ESPN Insider req'd?)

In other coverage of Shonda's favorites, Arizona's Jonathan Horton ("He whispers into his right clenched fist as if there may be a person in there who needs to hear the spelling of a word before anyone else. He's MAD, MAD, MAD SKILLED and I love him") is about to hit the NYC media circuit, and is talking the kind of smack that only a top-notch speller can:
“I think this is the best chance I’ve had so far,” Jonathan said. “I also have an extremely good chance that I won’t win.”
Four-timer Matthew C. Evans has already won the Reader's Digest Word Power Challenge, so the Bee is just icing on the gravy for him.

Also, an invitation: if you've competed in the National Spelling Bee or otherwise have a really good reason why you might be helpful to our live Bee blogging this year, email me and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment