Thursday, May 24, 2007

THE PATHETIC EARTHLING HAD THE DINNER WITH THE SPACECLAN IN THE LOS ANGELES: I had a lovely dinner with Isaac and his collective spaceclan when I was in Los Angeles Monday night (thanks, spacepeople!). Reminded me of a few things this fourth generation Bay Arean (and fifth generation Californian) has strong opinions about about Los Angeles.

Los Angeles Radio is Great. In the 30 minute drive between downtown LA and Spacecentral, I scanned all the way through the radio dial maybe five times. With almost no dead air on LA airwaves, you can't help but hit everything: Evangelical ministries, Classic Rock, Modern Country, Tejano, Vietnamese Talk Radio (I believe I heard and comprehended the proper name 'Nguyen'). Plus, I heard Eddie Grant's "Electric Avenue" -- a damned fine drive.

Driving Freeways in LA is Fun. I take the train into San Francisco, as I have my entire career. But an occasional slog through traffic is refreshing. But I'd hate to do it on a regular basis, and not least trying to do it from, say, Upland. But a drive from downtown to West Hollywood was still fun.

As Isaac noted a few weeks back, LA is full of Z-list celebrities. It's also full of Z-list locations. I saw a couple of coffee shops that I'm sure were in something. And I'm not sure I had previously laid eyes on Pershing Square in person, but my room at the Biltmore overlooked it last night. I couldn't help but ask myself: What do you do?

Vin Scully, may God forgive his Dodger-loving soul, is a freaking great baseball announcer.

On the other hand:
"The" N-freeway Number. Here in the Bay Area, I drive on "Highway 24." Or "24". In LA, it's "The 110." I want to strangle someone when I hear that. If necessary even myself.

The Celebrity Lickspittle B-Roll on Local LA News. The news on Monday night was about these folks fired in New Hampshire for gossiping in work. So, of course, once they had run through the material from the folks involved in the case, Channel 7 runs as many office scenes from movies as possible while describing the story. Both 9 to 5 and Office Space made an appearance. Everything short of Glengarry Glen Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment