Saturday, July 14, 2007

ON THE WHOLE, I'D RATHER BE IN PHILADELPHIA: This morning in my hotel room in Philly, I was surfing through channels and was struck by two things:
  • I happened on Dracula 2000, which wouldn't have caught my interest except for that when I turned to it, it was in the midst of a sequence where first Omar Epps and then Christopher Plummer are brutally beaten by Dracula (who apparently has developed bullet-time powers). This is followed by a ludicrous spectacle involving Jeri Ryan threatening another woman, but I was too distracted by Ryan's fake fangs.
  • ESPN Classic was airing a pair of episodes of American Gladiators, and I found myself rather inexplicably transfixed. Of course, the show makes no sense--are we supposed to be rooting for the "everyman" contenders, or "Your American Gladiators?" But the spectacle that is Atlasphere cannot be denied.

Also, I briefly wandered into a toy store, which rather inexplicably (and in poor taste) had a substantial selection of Chris Benoit action figures on display--it was clearly an act of obliviousness rather than active bad taste, but still, gave me the willies.

No comments:

Post a Comment