Monday, April 7, 2008

AT LEAST SHE DOESN'T HAVE FELINE AIDS: Rachel Dratch, ridiculously funny on Second City and SNL but shoved aside from 30 Rock for Jane Krakowski, is unfortunately still looking for work:
Rachel Dratch is learning it’s not funny being an out-of-work comedian. She left Saturday Night Live two years ago and then was replaced on 30 Rock. What’s she up to now? “Maybe you can tell me,” she said at a Smart People screening on March 31. “I know you’re supposed to come up with fake stuff you’re doing. But honestly, I’m not doing much.” After SNL’s hectic pace, isn’t downtime nice? “It’s starting to get old,” she said. “I’m starting to go crazy. I’m ready for a job.” The low point came, she said, when last month’s Vanity Fair arrived with its cover story on women in comedy, featuring a dozen top comediennes — none of whom was Dratch. “Dude, that was a dark day,” she recalled. “I was like, Oh, there’s everyone I worked with.” She’s not picky about her next gig. “I’d work in a black-box theater company at this point,” she said. “I’d work with George W.”
Dratch's overall weirdness and fearlessness worked well in a sketch format, but I'm not sure where she goes from here. It seems to be easier to be a guy in the entertainment industry who looks like Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill than to be a woman who looks like Rachel Dratch or Janeane Garofalo. Anyone want to play career counselor?

No comments:

Post a Comment