Thursday, June 18, 2009

NO, IT'S NOT DIABLO CODY: As it turns out, there's a reader of this site who works for Entertainment Weekly, and who I think would read any suggestions you had for the magazine. What I've told this reader is that I think EW needs to seize upon its ability to be smarter than the People/Us universe, to let folks like Mark Harris and Doc Jensen do long-form think pieces on popular culture more often to balance off the traditional "hey! it's a new movie! we visited the set!" pieces to which covers are often pegged. I like it when EW lets movie stars talk about a series of past roles, its oral histories about the making of a film or creation of a tv show, and the great features they've done about forgotten performers or obscure films. If there's a two-word slogan for what I'm thinking, it's "smart populism."

No comments:

Post a Comment