Wednesday, December 29, 2010

LET US SUPPOSE THAT A FARMER AND A CATTLE-RAISER ARE OPERATING ON NEIGHBORING PROPERTIES: Six and a half years ago, Matt, Alex and I merged blogs when seemed more efficient to post everything on one site rather than having to constantly link to each other's blogs and click ourselves to read them every day, and that it was easier to establish our reputation in the marketplace collectively rather than as separate entities. Also, as the blog expanded to include Isaac, Phil, Kim and others (but without getting larger still), we could have initially-assigned beats for various shows, but through an easily-negotiated series of mutually beneficial exchanges via email we each would be able to reassign these rights end up being able to blog about whatever we felt like regardless of the bailiwick within which the topic was initially perceived to be.

All of which is to say happy birthday to Ronald Coase, who turns 100 today.

8 comments:

  1. Mandee10:37 AM

    I had the hardest time reading the Coase theorem (as required by my University of Chicago Law property prof) because that song played on constant loop every time I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha10:59 AM

    As expected, this is my favorite tribute to Coase today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this blog's reputation for honoring economists' centenaries is pretty well-established.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather K12:15 PM

    See I thought this was going to be about the production of Oklahoma in DC. (obviously not a lawyer: me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex Gordon12:24 PM

    Yeah, for us. I hope to return from my self-imposed exile/sabbatical refreshed and ready to blog any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genevieve2:20 PM

    How is it that I'm googling Coase Theorem and yet not seeing any other references to the song?  Thank you for doing it, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess Coase is having a much better week than another hero of deregulatory types, Alfred Kahn, who died on Monday at 93.  RIP, "Fred."

    ReplyDelete