Wednesday, March 12, 2003

WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS? Phillies closer Jose Mesa is not a fan of former Cleveland teammate Omar Vizquel. Really:
"We were tight,'' Mesa said.

No more. Now, when speaking of Vizquel, Mesa can't even bring himself to say his name. He refers to Vizquel as "he" or "him."

Mesa, a Dominican, even went as far as saying this about Vizquel, a Venezuelan: "He's not Latin.''

Mesa and Vizquel had a falling out during spring training a few years ago, their friendship soured and now they're enemies.

Last year, their feud got ugly. Vizquel ripped Mesa in his autobiography, saying he choked in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series. . . .

Mesa badly wants to face Vizquel again. He wants to drill him again. And this time, Mesa, a 6-3, 225-pounder, wants Vizquel, a 5-9, 165-pounder, to be a man and charge the mound.

"If he comes [today] and I face him, I'll hit him," Mesa told the Courier Times. "I won't try to hit him in the head, but I'll hit him. And if he charges me, I'll kill him."

. . .

"If he comes to apologize, I will punch him right in the face," Mesa said. "And then I'll kill him."

Thankfully (for Vizquel), the two did not face each other in yesterday's exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment