Thursday, October 2, 2003

GUMBY IN, GUMBY IN, GUMBY INTO TOWN: So, Jen and I were fortunate enough to see R.E.M. yesterday doing a soundcheck before their concert that night at Temple's Liacouras Center. They played "Pretty Persuasion", "Get Up" and a new song, then headed off for other obligations. A few notes:
1. Contrary to my assumptions, no one told us before the soundcheck not to make direct eye contact with Mr. Stipe.

2. Stipe was lugging around what looked like an iMac Powerbook G4 onstage with him, and he consulted it for lyrics before each song. Interesting product placement.

3. And so Jen and I were debating before they went on stage: which Stipe do you prefer -- early, mumbling Stipe or enunciating Stipe? I like my Stipe when I'm not really sure what he's saying; Jen's a fan of, y'know, words.

Tell us where you stand on this critical issue of national importance.

For more on what R.E.M.'s up to lately, check out this Jim DeRogatis feature, including an interview with Peter Buck, speaking of long-running acts:
Q. So you'll hit the road twice in a row?

A. Yeah. I said to the other guys -- and I'm a few years older than everyone -- that we're getting to the age where we may not be able to do this physically for much longer. If someone does something to their back -- I have friends who can't hold a guitar any more -- we should do what we want to and accomplish what we want to while we're really still in good health and strong and feel like doing it. There's a certain age where I think I might just be embarrassed to do it.

Q. Oh, come on. You always say that, too! You said the same thing when I interviewed you for the first time 12 years ago!

A. I've been conscious of my own mortality for some time. Being in this business, so many of my friends have died. I don't do the things generally that have killed them.

I had a really good friend die of cancer last year. He was one of the most influential people in my early life, and he was 47. I'm 46. You don't get a lot of time in this business; I'm not guaranteed work. There will be a day when I look in the mirror and go, "You know what? I can't get onstage in front of 20-year-olds anymore."

I don't know when that will be; I don't think it will be next year, but you never know. I think it's better to assume that it can all disappear overnight than to take it all for granted. The people who take it for granted are the ones who wind up on "Behind the Music."

No comments:

Post a Comment