Monday, February 9, 2004

THREE GRAMMIES, NO WHAMMIES, AND SOME FRANK TALK ABOUT INNOVATION AND TRUE CREATIVITY: Unfortunately for me, it's far far far too late to get on the Outkast bandwagon, but there's a great pre-grammy article on CNN about their career and creative priorities. The capper, for an aspiring curmudgeon like me? Bingo:

Andre admits that rap doesn't excite him any more. He can't remember the last time he bought a rap album, and laments the fact that hip-hop is more about partying in clubs that rapping these days.

He allows that his age (Andre and Big Boi are both 29) might be influencing his thinking.

"It doesn't feel the same to me like when I was in high school, when Tribe Called Quest was out, and NWA," Andre said. "I can't really feel what a lot of rappers are talking about, and maybe it's because I'm not in the clubs. When I listen to rap music now, it seems like a lot of people don't have nothin' to say ... It's pretty much the same story we've been hearing -- 'From the ghetto, I'm rapping now, I made it big.' "


When I say that, I'm an illegitimate, comically mainstream, uncomfortably-comfortably-compensated white-bread player-hater. When the guys in Outkast say it. . . well, they won three Grammies yesterday. And I'm not saying there isn't good stuff out there. I'm just saying, is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment