Monday, June 21, 2004

BUT YOU DON'T REALLY CARE FOR MUSIC, DO YOU? While Adam and Matt were watching movies this weekend, I went to a concert, which, given the fact that I have two kids, live in the suburbs, can't tolerate cigarette smoke anymore and have seen most of the artists I would bother hiring a babysitter and battling traffic etc., to see when said artists were younger and better, in itself is noteworthy.

That said, when you have the chance to see a Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright twin bill in your backyard, it's hard to pass up. I guess the duo are touring with Guster for most of the summer, but Friday night it was just the two of them, each playing solo sets with nothing but a piano (though Rufus picked up the guitar, too).

Overall a great show, made better by the setting, the takeout sushi we picked up on the way, the commute (we biked), and the babysitter only charging $7/hour. I am a fan, but not a fanatic of either, so I don't feel I can really judge their performances, other than to say, my wife and I, along with everyone else in the park (which seemed to be even split between a fratish crowd for a Folds and fabulous crowd for Rufus) seemed to enjoy themselves. The highlight of Folds' set might have been a spot-on cover of "Careless Whisper," while the moment we were waiting for, Rufus' rendition of "Hallelujah, was a slight disappointment due to Rufus' temporary amnesia when it came to the second verse ("Your faith was strong..."). Still, he recovered nicely and really sold the song, even without the visual punch of, say, a forlorn ogre or mourning press secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment