Wednesday, June 2, 2004

NO, NO, I WANTED THAT AMERICAN LIFE: I haven't blogged about it, but the best $9.95 I've spent this year has probably been my weekly subscription to This American Life via audible.com. Means I can listen to it when I want, on the go, at my convenience, and listen to any segment I want whenever I want. Particular snaps to the following episodes (links are direct to the episode page, where you can listen in streaming audio:

MacGyver: The prologue alone is worth your time, where you'll hear "And then, I'm going to take a BENADRYL!" over the "Mission: Impossible" theme music. The essays on the show aren't that great, but the opening is.

Testosterone: The first two segments, which deal with a writer whose body stopped producing testosterone and a woman's experiences in transitioning to man and the effect of testosterone, are a'ight, but the third piece is the true winner. The staff of TAL and a couple of the regular contributors all take testosterone level tests, which leads to one man bewailing "If I could be manly anywhere, I thought it would be in Public Radio!"

Fake Science: Act I, a mediocre attempt at doing a radio "Blair Witch" thing should be skipped, but Act II is a great "sting journalism" piece on scientific appointments in the federal government, and Act III features Glark from Fametracker waxing rhapsodic on the subject of People's list of the 50 most beautiful peopl.

Prom: Especially for someone who didn't go to their Senior Prom like me, this is so worth it. The first act is a bit interminable, but the interview with "Francine Pascal" (creator of Sweet Valley High) is excellent, as is the finale, a profile of Racine, Wisconsin, which televises its high school prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment