Monday, November 22, 2004

I AM SHOCKED -- SHOCKED -- TO FIND OUT THERE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT A LIST GOING ON HERE: As we started last week, it's time to compile a list of (at least) 100 quotes representing serious omissions from the AFI 400 list. The criteria, as with the list of nominees, is as follows:
The jurors have been asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:

MOVIE QUOTE
A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film.* (Lyrics from songs are not eligible.)

CULTURAL IMPACT
Movie Quotes that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.

LEGACY
Movie Quotes that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.

I'll just ask that you number your comments so we can keep track of how far we've gone, and feel free to copy ones over from that thread so that we've got it all in one place (and can forward it to the appropriate cultural authorities. I'll start it with these two:
1. Paul Moore: It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you're the smartest person in the room.

Jane Craig: No. It's awful.

Broadcast News

2. I don't wanna sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't wanna sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or ... process anything sold, bought ... or processed, or repair anything sold, bought or processed, ya know, as a career, I don't wanna do that. So uh, my father's in the army ... he wants me to join ... but I can't work for that corporation. Umm, so, what I've been doing lately is kickboxing.

Say Anything

We can either fill half this list with Lebowski quotes, or show restraint and use none of them. It's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment