Friday, April 29, 2005

LIVE LONG AND BREATHE A LITTLE EASIER: It turns out that not every child molester and sexual predator is also a Trekkie, as The L.A. Times misreported this week. Ernest Miller at the Corante blog actually picked up the phone, did a little reporting and discovered that while The Times article claimed "All but one of the offenders [the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit] have arrested in the last four years was a hard-core Trekkie," which would mean that 99 out of 100 pedophiles can speak Klingon, the truth is that the detective can only claim a majority of pedophiles he's caught have shown "at least a passing interest in Star Trek, if not a strong interest." Still not the greatest feeling for you Trekkies, I'm guessing.

The Times is now a Tribune Company paper, but the Trekkie controversy isn't the only trouble the company's papers have been having this week.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:03 PM

    I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our world, and I am fairly confident when I say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

    I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.

    (Submitted using Nintendo DS running [url=http://will-the-r4-r4i-work.wetpaint.com/]R4i[/url] BPost)

    ReplyDelete