Thursday, July 28, 2005

THE LIVIN'S EASY: Billboard has put out a list of the Top 10 songs featuring "Summer" in the title. It's nicely eclectic, with everything from Shaggy to Mungo Jerry making the list, and even Richard Marx making the list. At least one is inexplicable, though--if "Cruel Summer" is going to make this sort of list, shouldn't it be the original Bananarama version and not the Ace of Base knock off? However, somehow, neither Gershwin's "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess or Sublime's song with the same title makes the list.

This provides me with a nice segue into something I've been meaning to talk about for a while. Every summer tends to produce a few songs that are almost inevitably and irreversably linked to that summer--has there been one this year? I know Jessica Simpson's borderline unlistenable "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" and R. Kelly's popera about being "Trapped in the Closet" have been big, but there hasn't been a "Crazy in Love" level smash. My favorite of the summer hit parade so far has to be Anna Nalick's "Breathe (2 A.M.)," which somehow manages to work with its oddball combination of ethereal piano/bass and teengirl lyrics like "I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd/'cause these words are my diary screamin' out loud."

No comments:

Post a Comment