Sunday, October 9, 2005

CAN YOU DENY THERE'S NOTHING GREATER . . . Philadelphia's WXPN 88.5 FM, not satisfied with ranking the 885 All Time Greatest Songs, has set its sights on letting listeners like me (but not me -- I forgot to email my ballot) determine The 885 All Time Greatest Albums, which they have been playing in order for a week already.

How wonderfully diverse is a list (and a radio station) that has a section like this?
# 333 – STEVIE WONDER – Talking Book
# 332 – A TRIBE CALLED QUEST – The Low End Theory
# 331 – PATTY GRIFFIN – Flaming Red
# 330 – MARC COHN – Marc Cohn
# 329 – FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE – Welcome Interstate Managers
# 328 – FRANZ FERDINAND – Franz Ferdinand
# 327 – THE REPLACEMENTS – Pleased To Meet Me
# 326 – STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN – Texas Flood
# 325 – BRIAN WILSON – Smile
# 324 – PAVEMENT – Slanted And Enchanted

At least one album in that block is criminally underrated -- the one with the protein-delta strip, of course.

There is much to debate and discuss here. I mean, Sign O' The Times and Surfer Rosa make my top twenty -- but here, #266 and #263, respectively?

No comments:

Post a Comment